Thursday, February 25, 2021

Thursday, February 25th, 2021

I arrived at Avila a bit late this morning. I didn't see any familiar cars or anyone in the water so I swam a few triangles by myself. There were gusty offshore winds, sunny skys, a nice warmish air temperature of 60 and a water temperature of 9.5°C/49°F. The variation in the wind chop was just enough to make each leg different but not enough to be much of a problem.

I swam for an hour and covered 3057M. A year ago I would not have thought that I could stay in at these temperatures for an hour or more but swimming at Avila four times a week in these persistent low temperatures has made the conditions more familiar and apparently more tolerable. At 51 -52 degrees my feet would never acclimate to the water but my face and hands were OK. At 48 - 49 my hands are also feeling the cold. I had trouble getting my fingers to work well enough to get my wetsuit off today.  




 
The third time at the end of the Avila Pier.

I'll swim Saturday at 8 and Sunday at 7:30.

niel 

No comments: