Sunday, November 8, 2020

Sunday, November 8, 2020

Swimming On Sunday Morning at 7AM With Duke

My baptism by wind

I got to Avila Beach about 6:45 and started getting into my gear. I wanted to be ready when Duke arrived because he had told me that he puts on his wetsuit at home before the 3 minute drive to the beach. The surf had laid down since Saturday morning so we wouldn't be beat up getting in but the wind was already up and blowing, so today's swim would be bumpy and physical in a different way. Hey, welcome to ocean swimming.  The water was 55 degrees yesterday but swam like 53 today. Maybe it was the wind but my hands and feet were cold for the entire swim.  

The water actually looks kind'a friendly from here.

Duke and I were content to do one triangle. 
I suggested going counterclockwise because with the wind out of the NW this would give us somewhat more favorable swimming conditions along each leg.   

Niel and Duke at the first buoy facing the sunrise.

At the end of the Avila Pier

We had a nice sunrise with clouds to enjoy on the leg from the end of the Avila Pier to the last buoy on the east (left looking from the beach) side.  The wadded up paper look that the  surface of the water has tells you how hard the wind is blowing.   



Duke at the last buoy. The Avila Pier is in the background. 
The swim back to the pier was into the chop, wind and current and an exercise in patience because if you just had to do the work long enough to get to the second buoy. 
Then we were close enough to the pier to feel the way the pilings make the chop lay down so it almost felt like a coast to the finish.  

I definitly be back next Sunday.  

I'll swim Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 8:00

niel
    

No comments: